This was some sort of experimental dish that turned out pretty well for me. I gleaned the inspiration from a creamy-chicken-rice casserole recipe I came across, so I figured, why not give it a local twist and in came the luwombo. I have written about the luwombo experience before here, and it’s something I’d recommend if you can find those cured luwombo leaves.
For now though, if you want to try out this recipe, and I think you should, please don’t restrict yourself to the ingredients I used, you can do away with the milk and cheese and use water instead, you may want to keep the vegetables though for the color, but feel free to be as flexible as you can.
•500g Chicken breasts
• 1 Luwombo leaf
• 1 cup long grain rice
• 2 ½ cups water (or milk, I used milk)
• 2 cups chopped mixed vegetables (carrots, green beans, red and yellow bell pepper, mushrooms, onions)
• 1/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (optional)
For grilling chicken;
• 2 cloves garlic
• 1 Lemon
• 1 tbsp. Rosemary
• 2 tbsp. Olive oil
• ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
• 1 teaspoon paprika
• Salt and Pepper
• Prepare the marinade and grill the chicken on a grill pan after 20 minutes of marinating
• Combine everything in your luwombo leaf and wrap it tightly
• Bake in a preheated oven for about 21/2 hours or wrap in banana leaves and steam like you would with steamed matooke on firewood or charcoal stove.
• Serve when ready with gravy made from leftover marinade.