I don’t know how I’ve lived my whole life without ever trying this. It’s amazing how simple it is to make and yet so yummy. If you haven’t yet prepared rice the Mexican way, here’s an amateur’s guide for you.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup SWT long-grain rice
- Green pepper and carrots (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1Tsp ground cumin
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth (or water)
- Lemon for garnishing.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat
- Add the rice, stir until the rice turns golden brown and puffy (don’t burn it though)
- Add salt and the cumin, stir.
- Add green pepper, carrots, onions and garlic, and ketchup then stir.
- Add the chicken broth, stir some more and cover.
- When the water is absorbed by the rice, reduce the heat to low and let the rice dry.
- Remove from heat, garnish and serve.